I’ll admit it.. I drink McDonalds Coffee! I drink it because they have a drive through and with two kids, I am not getting out of my car to get a coffee.. I need the coffee so I CAN get out of my car with two children in tow. However, once I place my order, you cannot NOT get anything for Ava and so she would always ask for an Orange Cranberry Muffins. She loved them alot, so I thought I’d make them myself and be in control of sugar content!
Get the kids involved to make it extra fun on a Saturday morning and enjoy the lingering scent of oranges for hours afterwards. These are a nice refreshing fall favourite of ours, we hope you enjoy!
- 1/2 C unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1/4 C granulated sugar
- 1/2 C packed light or dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature preferred
- 1/2 C sour cream
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- zest of 1 orange
- 1 3/4 C all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp orange juice
- 2 Tbsp milk
- 1 and 1/2C fresh or frozen cranberries (do not thaw), I used Craisons
ORANGE GLAZE (optional)
- 1 C confectioners’ sugar
- 3 Tbsp orange juice
- Preheat oven to 450F degrees. Spray a 12-count muffin pan with nonstick spray or line with cupcake liners. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl using a handheld mixer beat the butter on high speed until smooth and creamy. Add the granulated and brown sugars and beat on high roughly 2 minutes. Add the eggs, sour cream, and vanilla extract. Mix for 1 minute, then turn up to high speed until the mixture is combined and uniform in texture. Beat in the orange zest.
- In a large bowl, toss together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and slowly mix with a whisk. Add the orange juice and milk, gently whisking until combined and little lumps remain. Fold in the cranberries.
- Carefully spoon batter into prepared muffin pan, filling them 3/4 ful. Bake for 5 minutes at 425F degrees, then keeping the muffins in the oven, lower the oven temperature to 350F degrees and bake for 18-20 more minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Total bake time roughly 25 minutes.